As Commissioner, Mike has made it a priority to increase transparency in county government through a number of initiatives since his election in 2011. They include:
- Redesigning the centrecountypa.gov website, making information easily accessible to citizens, saving them a trip to county office building.
- Personally attending as many meetings in community as possible.
- Making county government more accessible by holding work sessions throughout the county during the Centre Crest deliberations and decisions.
- Being the first Centre County commissioner to engage with constituents using social media.
Mike is committed to continuing to reform county government. Since winning re-election, Mike has:
- Released more information about the county budget and financial decisions.
- Held more public work sessions for commissioners.
- Enacted ethics reforms by banning politicking in the workplace (such as circulating candidate petitions during work hours and in County offices).