Mike believes that voter participation is critical to holding government accountable. As Commissioner, Mike is constantly looking for ways to provide more opportunities for people to exercise their right to vote.
In 2017, Mike served as a member of the Advisory Board of the Pennsylvania Joint State Government Commissions’ study of the issue of voting system technology initiated by Senate Resolution 394.
Mike has served on the Centre County Board of Elections. The board is responsible for supervising all 91 precincts in Centre County, preparing ballots, as well as overseeing election workers and polling locations for the primary and general elections.
Through his service on the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania’s Statewide Election Reform Committee, Mike is examining possible opportunities to increase voter participation. These include:
Online Voter Registration
- - Saves taxpayers by avoiding overtime and additional staff to process paper voter registration during peak times
- - Reduces errors in forms
- - More accurate verification
- - Preserves the integrity of the voter's information
- - Eases initial registration and updates to information for voters
- - Already implemented in 21 states
Update: In August 2015, Gov. Wolf announced that Pennsylvania will now be accepting voter registrations online. To register to vote, or to update a current Pennsylvania registration please visit register.VotesPA.com.
No-Fault Absentee Ballots & Early Voting
- - No-fault absentee ballots allow anyone to vote by mail-in ballot, regardless of reason
- - Help shorten lines on Election Day
- - Create more flexibility for when you can vote
- - Increase voter participation